240 PM CDT Thu Jun 16 2022
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
* WHAT...Dangerously hot conditions with heat index values up to
105 possible and night time heat indices not falling below 75.
* WHERE...Portions of east central, south central and southeast
South Dakota, northeast Nebraska and northwest and west
central Iowa. This includes the Tribal Lands of the Yankton
Sioux Tribal Nation.
* WHEN...From Saturday afternoon through Monday evening.
* IMPACTS...Extreme heat and humidity will significantly increase
the potential for heat related illnesses, particularly for those
working or participating in outdoor activities. Winds,
especially Sunday and Monday, will gust to 30 to 40 mph at
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...This watch encompasses the area that has
the highest chance of heat indices above 100 degrees for 3 days.
Areas north and west of the watch have the best chance for
higher heat indices Saturday and Sunday while southwest
Minnesota and northwest Iowa have the better chances Sunday and
Monitor the latest forecasts and warnings for updates on this
situation. Be prepared to drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-
conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives
Young children and pets should never be left unattended in
vehicles under any circumstances. This is especially true during
warm or hot weather when car interiors can reach lethal
temperatures in a matter of minutes.